general information about fasting

General fasting discussion. Intermittent or extended fasting should be discussed in the relevant sub-forum.
jpatti
Site Admin
A1c: 5.5%

general information about fasting

Post by jpatti »

Fasting gives our bodies a mini-vacation, during which we reduce insulin (and therefore inflammation). It also elicits autophagy, a process of profound intracellular healing.

This book, via Amazon if you click on the image (affiliate link), is a good place to start learning. Though I don't agree with Dr. Jason Fung entirely (I'm ornery!), he is widely acknowledged as the ultimate expert on fasting.

My diabetes is in remission; yours can be too! :D
Links: blog, youTube channel,
ELAB store with: Jump Start, Ridiculously Big Salad, The Cooked RBS and Psychology

KICK DIABETES TO THE CURB :!:
Joshem

Re: general information about fasting

Post by Joshem »

I’m onery too. Lol. I’m curious what you find questionable in his views? I have watched many of his videos and I remember questioning a few things myself ( though I can’t remember what specifically. Tho, like you I imagine, I am grateful for the positive ‘macro’ effect his work overall has brought to the world to help those of us who have struggled so long because of the advice health professionals touted for so long about how to treat our issues.
jpatti
Site Admin
A1c: 5.5%

Re: general information about fasting

Post by jpatti »

I recall disagreeing with a few things, but don't recall exactly what.

As I recall, when he dicusses electrolytes, his emphasis is on sodium, which does wonders for reducing the symptoms of so-called "keto flu", but does not emphasize enough the need for potassium and ignores the need for magensium. Given these are lost significantly during the entire time we're diabetic, and even more with the increased urine output when we begin a low carb diet, I think he's missing something there.

Another thing I disagree with him *strongly* about is that SGLT2 inhibitors are good drugs for diabetics. While true they don't increase insulin like many diabetic medications, their side effects include diabetic ketoacidosis, necrotizing fasciitis and increased risk of amputation. As someone who has suffered all 3, I am of the opinion that this class of drugs is significantly worse than elevated bG.
My diabetes is in remission; yours can be too! :D
Links: blog, youTube channel,
ELAB store with: Jump Start, Ridiculously Big Salad, The Cooked RBS and Psychology

KICK DIABETES TO THE CURB :!: